Sunday 17 October 2010

Weeks 1 to 4 - Illustration Project

"In nuclear physics, nuclear chemistry, and astrophysics, nuclear fusion is the process in which two or more atomic nuclei join together to form a single heavier nucleus. This is usually accompanied by the release or absorption of large quantities of energy." (Wikipedia)
So the 'Fusion' Illustration project had to be about clashing of opposites, different things, different media. The second before the bang when every part still doesn't accept the inevitable. Or at least that is the first thing that came to mind. So I chose my subject, man (or mankind, if 'man' sounds too sexist), and different things that it constantly clashes with. 'Man' became a man and a woman, natural opposites most would say (if you've studied a bit of biology you will know that only one out of 23 chromosomes defines our sex, and we also know that the body doesn't always agree with the mind). Something else man always clashes with is machines, so I threw a little metal in there. I somehow couldn't picture someone in the process of being fused to someone else being perfectly dressed, so the only clothes they are wearing recall (at least in my mind) past times: black and white striped trousers (pirates, circus people and vaudeville come to mind) and a corset (victorian, anyone? even though corsets have been worn for many many centuries) and frilly panties (those comfortable ones you used to wear as a child). Obviously I wanted to use a mix of different media, which ended up being pencils, pen, watercolours, oil colours and oil pastels. I used few colours in different shades, mostly skin tone, black, blue and red, to keep the illustration effective and vibrant. I must say I am quite pleased with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment